The Rio Grande Valley-Texas Association for Bilingual Education (RGV-TABE) recently recognized the founders of RGV PUEDE, Dr. Alexander Stehn & Dr. Mariana Alessandri, as 2019 Distinguished Community Advocate Honorees for their work in advancing bilingual education in the RGV.
Read more at the UTRGV Newsroom or in The Rider.
Since being founded in late 2016, RGV PUEDE’s accomplishments include:
- Educating parents across the RGV about dual language education and its benefits
- Co-hosting an annual dual language parent conference with UTRGV’s Center for Bilingual Studies
- Participating in a mesa
comunitariadedicated to dual language hosted by the Equal Voice Network
- Working closely with LUPE and ARISE to support Dual Language Programs in PSJA ISD and Donna ISD
- Working with McAllen ISD leadership to expand dual language programs into middle school
- Working with McAllen ISD leadership and parents to establish a Dual Language Parent Support Committee
- Working with parents to build a Harlingen PUEDE chapter
- Organizing parents in Edinburg and Brownsville who want dual language opportunities for their children